- That my clothes and laundry are kept in good order and repair.
- That I receive my three meals regularly in my room.
- That my bedroom and my office are always kept neat, in particular, that the desk is available to me alone.
- You are to renounce all personal relations and refrain from criticising me either in word or deed in front of my children.
- You are neither to expect intimacy from me nor reproach me in any way.
- You must desist immediately from addressing me if I request it.
- You must leave my bedroom or office immediately without protest if I so request.
So who’s the bastard?
None other than the great Albert Einstein; he made these demands of his first wife Mileva, who actually agreed to the terms.
The marriage didn’t last much longer.
Taken from the wonderful book Quantum, by Manjit Kumar.